Thursday, January 6, 2011

By Terry Baume de Rose lip treatment

You know how all of us have some form of a bad habit? In some cases its biting nails, picking on pimples, scratching itchy skin? Well my bad habit is biting my lips. Whenever I'm anxious, nervous, or just whenever...I bite them. It's bad because I bite them to the point where they bleed. Gross, eh?

I normally use Burts Bees chapstick and that is sufficient for the summer, but in the wintertime I get nagged by my parents, sister, friends to get something for my cracked lips. And so it began...

I've tried:

Regular vaseline
Aquaphor
Carmex
Kiehl's lip treatment
Smith's Rosebud Salve
Korres lip butters
LUSH honey trap

There's a few more I've tried, but I can't remember anymore. Basically the ones I've listed did nothing for me. They absolutely did nothing. That's right, I said it: NOTHING. Well to be fair, the best one out of that group is LUSHs honey trap. 

So I'm visiting the counters and my MA asked me in a middle of a discussion: "do you use anything for your lips? There's a lip treatment that I use for myself..." I gave him a stare, probably the "I don't believe you" stare. Anyway, he used By Terry Baume de Rose underneath a matte lipstick. I didn't think much of it at the time (I didn't buy the balm then). A few days later, I woke up with a cracked lip. I ran over to the counter and bought it. I'm almost on week 2 of this and I have to say: this is great. 

Smell: Yes, it smells like rose, similar to the Smiths Rosebud Salve smell. 

Packaging: in pot form (which is the more popular & the more concentrated form) and in lipgloss packaging. I adore the glass packaging.

Price: It's $58 for the pot, $52 for the lipgloss. Definitely get the pot form since it's more concentrated and you can literally use up the entire pot. You and I both know it's hard to get the last bits of a lipgloss. 

What I will say is the application is the hardest part of this item: it's best to apply it on your lips with fingers, not with a lipbrush and you need to rub the balm in a bit. The less you use, the better (at least for me). It's a bit irritating to dip my lipbrush in the pot, then swipe the brush onto my finger, and then rub the balm on my lips with my finger. I made the mistake of using it like a lipgloss (dip brush in pot, apply like a gloss). It slid off my lips this way.

You need time for this stuff to work. I almost to threw in the towel on this one until I saw how the flakeys on the edge of my lips and the major cracks on my lips are gone.

What's also interesting about this item is that I've used it on my cuticles and man, they are a lot softer and no more hangnails ! :D

Random aside: I really don't see the purpose of having SPF in this lip balm, in part because this lip treatment is best worn at night, when you're asleep. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of people that love this product. I *so* wanted to, but the lanolin got me :/ For those that aren't allergic to anything in it, it really is an amazing product. Great post! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so out of the loop when it comes to ingredients as to what can cause a reaction/sensitivities/etc. Thank you for letting the readers know. Of course thank you for reading my blog :D

    ReplyDelete