Friday, December 24, 2010

Ellis Faas Milky Lips 201


In light of the Christmas season, I wanted to share with you one of my favorite reds: Ellis Faas Milky Lips 201. It's a makeup line where all the products are bullet shaped, brush tip or sponge applicator as seen below:












This is definitely a line that has GREAT products, but the standout items are their lipsticks and concealer. Now, for those of you who know me, I'm a die hard fiend (yes, fiend) for red lipsticks. Now, every line has a nice red, but most of the mainstream lines have a blue based red. As much as I love a blue based red, the mainstream lines have the same blue based red l/s and it does get a bit...well, boring. To those out there who love red lipstick, we are always looking for a unique shade. You know, that shade that people can't help but ask, "What color are you wearing !??!" That shade of red that stops traffic, that people pause and look at you. Unfortunately for people like me, there aren't many lines that have that kind of red. 

Ok so back to Ellis Faas, she's known for her awesome shades of red. She actually has 9 lipsticks, but they come in different finishes: Creamy, Milky, and Glazed. As much of a skeptic as I am, I had to try them out. Yes, she has awesome reds, my favorite being Milky Lips 201 (aka ELLIS RED). Can we discuss how gorgeous it is? Well, I'd rather just show the picture: 




From top to bottom:

Ellis Faas Milky lips 201

MAC Russian Red

NARS Trans Siberian

NARS Fire Down Below













It's a glorious blood red. It's not a blue red, it's a true blood red. I can't even explain how gorgeous it is. Definitely one of a kind shade and worth buying if you have the opportunity. The lasting power is great, but I do recommend wearing a lipliner with this one since it's definitely a bit milky in texture. It wears off to a nice stain too. I've worn the shade once and some guy walked into a wall when he saw me. :) Fortunately for a lot of people, Ellis Faas is now sold at Space NK, as well as Bergdorf Goodman.

Seeing Lauren's good question to see how 201 looks in comparison to Chanel Dragon, they're similar..you can say Dragon is the blue/burgundy not as unique sister of 201. Why you ask? Dragon's undertone is blue/burgundy based, whereas 201 is a true blood red. They're both pretty, but 201 is the winner (it lasts longer, slightly nicer texture and a more unique shade). 

My conclusion: RUN, do not walk to your nearest Space NK or Bergdorf whether it's in store or online.

Ellis Red from the Ellis Faas website

6 comments:

  1. Is the Ellis Faas 201 at all comparable to Chanel RA Laque in Dragon? Either way, it looks quite sexy on your arm :P xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually i own Dragon...but I couldnt get a good photo. The main differences are:

    Dragon is more burgundy/slightly darker than 201
    201 has a better texture and staying power.
    Dragon is a blue/burgundy based red, wheras 201 is a true blood red. 201 is more unique because the undertone is hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i guess the question is, if you have Dragon, should you get 201? yes. I like Dragon in terms of the color, but the lasting power on me is not that great and I am a personal fan of blood reds, and they're pretty hard to come by in general. The only other true blood red I can think of is NARS fire down below, but it's hard to work with sometimes since it's a matte l/s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you know your reds! You have me quite curious about the EF 201 now. Thanks so much for the comparison analysis :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey! do you think it would look good on a yellower complexion with mauve tinted lips? i STILL havent been able to find a true red that doesnt make me look like a showgirl or casts a greenish tint on my face.

    xoxox
    Y
    (vonns84 on mua!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. im pretty yellow myself, and i wear a lot of shades of reds. i actually think red lipsticks in general are the most flattering on warmer skintones.

    as for your mauve tinted lips: i would fill in your lips with red lipliner, something warm perhaps (i'd imagine MAC brick lipliner). i fill in my lips with red lipliner because it makes a huge difference in lasting power. i've never seen someone in red that would cause such an issue with the greenish cast, but if you can take a picture of yourself with red l/s on i can give you a better idea.

    as for a red that doesn't make you look like a showgirl: i honestly don't know what that means...reds look good on anyone, it's just about finding the right shade. most people who don't like themselves in red is generally because they're not comfortable with bright or loud colors on the lips.

    but overall takeaway: find a warm lipliner and fill in your lips, then use a red lipstick on top to see how it looks. :)

    ReplyDelete